It is very complicated!

To start in the USA you have the trident of evil Insurance-doctors
(HMO)-lawyers they all have to make money and they all blame the others for
their higher costs.
Liability is HUGE in the USA

The ones making money they do not want to make less and they use the "we do
not want the government telling me what doctor to visit and the, what is or
not paid for" never mind the insurance is telling them, but it seems to work
with most Americans, may be they do not know that the USA is the country
that spends the most in Health Care and most citizens do not get anything
out of it.

The Corporation speech that Andy K mention is true and THAT is the bottom
line.

A two tier system with government oversight on the private one (many things
can go wrong this way) In my opinion is best, if you do not want to wait and
can afford it, pay for it and go thru a private clinic (Not the most ethical
but I best solution)
By the way that is NOT how the Canadian system works and I have been in it
and it does work fairly good but I think a person should be able to PAY and
get it now.

The health care system in the USA will collapse very soon due to the rising
costs, we will see what happens. We have solutions from doctors that say
well I will not get insurance that way no lawyer will sue me (they have a
point! because remember the "trident of evil")

Is very complicated but one thing is for sure, current situation, it will/is
not benefitting "the people"

Ivan
PS: I am surprise the have not privatize the fire department in the USA! so
you pay a monthly "insurance' and if you do not pay and there is a fire in
your house you are out of luck!