On 2/5/2012 2:39 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Much of North America, including the Niagara Peninsula where I live, has
> been having an extremely mild and low-snow winter, although there are some
> predictions that our weather will soon become colder.

     Aside from the 10 days of cold weather we experienced in the
eastern Fraser Valley, where I live, it's been exceedingly mild this
winter.  Last week I was out in the garden wearing a short-sleeved shirt
. . .

> What seems to be happening over much of the world is instability and
> change in weather patterns, which might tell us something.

     Yes, it should.  On this list, however, most people are already
aware of that our climate is destabilizing.  It's getting the rest of
our friends and neighbors to see what we see that is problematic . . .

     My boys and I enjoy watching "Top Gear."  The special they filmed
on the Arctic featured a remark by Jeremy Clarkson, in which he
underscored a very common belief that automobiles are having no impact
on global climate.  After all, if he could drive a two tonne Toyota
truck to the magnetic north pole during the summer, the ice had to be
thick enough to support its weight, so everything's ok, right?  (Oh, at
one point its back end actually fell through, but we won't worry about
that niggling little detail . . . )

http://www.streetfire.net/video/the-full-episode-of-top-gears-polar-challenge_part-1_174761.htm

     Mr. Clarkson's remarks begin about 40 seconds into the seventh
video segment.  He references the "inconvenient truth" (1:18) that the
"damage the car has done" to the polar ice caps "hasn't even scratched
the surface."

     This is a very common perspective on global climate change,
promoted by a boorish Englishman who hosts an intensely popular show.

Robert Luis Rabello
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.newadventure.ca

Meet the People video: