Can you name a single truly democratic nation in the world today?

See also:

89% vote in favor of new Syrian Constitution
Published: 27 February, 2012
<http://rt.com/news/syria-referendum-constitution-results-307/>

"West" Wants Assad Out, Democracy or Not
By Global Times
February 27, 2012
<http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid/99/ID/697555/West-wants-Assad-out-democracy-or-not.aspx>

--0--

<http://rt.com/news/eu-recognizes-syrian-national-council-321/>

EU hits Syria with toughest-yet sanctions, recognizes SNC

Published: 27 February, 2012

The EU has recognized the Syrian National Council, one of the main
opposition groups, as a legitimate representative of the Syrian
people. The decision came as the EU ministers met in Brussels to slap
Syria with its toughest set of sanctions yet.

Although the EU ministers recognized the SNC as the "official
opposition", French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe told journalists
that there are other groups opposed to Assad's regime which should be
urged to unite and become more organized.

The EU continues to execute its strategy of putting political and
economic pressure on the Syrian regime to force President Bashar
al-Assad out of power. Verbally, the West maintains its support of
the opposition, at the same time reiterating that a Libya-style
scenario will not be repeated in Syria.

Some of the Arab countries, however, advocate a direct military
intervention in the country to stop "the bloodshed against the
civilians."

The Qatari Prime Minister voiced his unbounded support of the
opposition on Monday, saying that the international community should
arm the rebels, since it failed to find a solution to the crisis by
the means of United Nations Security Council.

"I think we should do whatever is necessary to help them, including
giving them weapons to defend themselves," Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim
al-Thani said on Monday during a visit to Norway. "I think we have to
try to do something to send enough military help to stop the killing."

Saudi Arabia is also backing the idea of arming the rebels, with
Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal saying that giving weapons and
ammunition to groups fighting the Syrian regime is "an excellent
idea" because "they have to defend themselves."

Syria's Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said that
militarizing the Syrian opposition is a big mistake that will
backfire. The West is trying to destabilize Syria for geopolitical
reasons, Makdissi said in an interview with the Associated Press.

EU imposes tough new sanctions

Foreign ministers of the European Union have agreed to sanction the
country's central bank, freeze assets of several high-ranking Syrian
officials, halt purchasing gold and ban cargo flights to Syria from
the EU.

This is not the first - or even the second - time the 27-nation bloc
has taken such steps. Their effects have yet to be seen, but EU
leaders believe that applying as much pressure - both diplomatic and
economic - as possible on the Assad regime will lead to positive
changes in the conflict-torn nation.

Europe would prefer to have even tougher sanctions in play, from the
United Nations, but Russia and China's position as permanent, and
therefore veto-wielding, members, has so far prevented UNSC measures.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague expressed the West's
continued frustration with Moscow and Beijing for preventing stronger
action against Syria at the United Nations.

"I hope that China and Russia will see that it has been a mistake to
take this position, that it is damaging their own interests in the
Middle East, that it is wrong in the eyes of the world," Hague told
reporters.

To both Moscow and Beijing, however, there is a greater wrong - using
UN resolutions to justify a military involvement, as happened in
Libya.

'Majority of Syrians are non-people for the West'

Neil Clark, a journalist and contributor to The Guardian, believes
Western leaders are being highly hypocritical when they criticize the
Syrian regime for being undemocratic, and yet fail to respect the
views of the majority of Syrians.

"Fifty-seven per cent of Syrians have voted and an overwhelming
majority of them have said yes to it," he told RT "It's a great day
for democracy in Syria. And yet what's the reaction been by the
Western leaders? Well, Hillary Clinton denounced it as a cynical
ploy. Guido Westerwelle, the German foreign minister, said that it
was a sham, but in fact what is a sham is the West's approach because
the reaction to this referendum shows us that they're not really keen
on democracy in Syria."

Clark said the West tends to cast a blind eye on huge pro-Assad
demonstrations and the fact that 55 per cent of Syrians want
President Assad to stay.

"The reality is that the majority of Syrians support Assad, but for
the West these are non-people, their views don't count".

He noted the symbolism of the announcement of new sanctions against
Syria by the EU.

"On the very day that Syria, after five decades of one-party rule,
votes for democracy, what does the EU do? It announces tough new
sanctions on Syria. It's highly symbolic."

Clark expressed his opinion that the EU was hardly a democratic body itself.

"I think that it's quite ironic on this very day we also have the
French President Nicolas Sarkozy explaining why we, the European
people, are not going to be allowed to vote ourselves on the EU
fiscal treaty. He says it's too hard for us to understand. So the EU,
which is claiming to be in favor of democracy, is actually working
against it."

He concluded by saying that the majority of Syrians do not want their
country to disintegrate like Iraq or Libya and see President Assad
and the Ba'ath party as the preferred solution to hold the country
together.