hi jim,

>>i may change the xlink:href attribute by DOM manip after doc load. but
>>this is what
>>onlick="location='location?blah='+jsval"
>>thankfully avoids.
>>

> but only by relying on unspecified window object model methods, and SVG UA
>/ parent browser communication -

well, basically this sample is to be found in an SVG-only application.
thus there should be only one window object available and above should
change its location. that is why there is no window, window name, self
or something else (any of these generate undesired results when testing
against different viewers, especially ASV inside IE where most users
come in). but having squiggle on the "working viewer list" would be a
point to check out, true.

>>or is there a way of getting any svg doc variables into the javascript
>>psuedo-protocol of the xlink:href call without a gEBI/getAttribute on it?
>>

>sure onclick you've got the event target being the A then you can modify the
>xlink:href within the onclick, or am I missing something?

yes ;-) the test. i also thought onclick triggers first and thus i may
do what i want with the xlink:href (e.g. adding some parameters).
ie6/winXP/sp2 took first the xlink:href and thus ignored the onlick...
note that i was looking for a solution working both with (x)html and
svg-only and both winXPsp2 and any prior win versions.

andré

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM