Hi, Ravi-

I'm not sure why you thought that would work. There are no native tooltips
in SVG (yet, though SVG1.2 changes that), and there is no 'alt' attribute
for SVG elements. (Also, it's not typically safe to try the dot-accessor
method of accessing attributes, and you should be using the namespace-aware
methods for createElementNS, like you did for setAttributeNS, but that's not
why your script isn't working.)

I happen to have a little tooltip implementation in JavaScript that might
help you out:

http://svg-whiz.com/samples.html#tooltip

Hope that helps-
Doug