--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> altglyph??
> What is altglyph?

It is a method to refer to a glyph by id, rather than unicode. See the
example I posted earlier. It's quite a bit more cumbersome than
unicode entities.

> > s> I don't know enough about private codepage definition to make a
> > s> recommendation on how to proceed when the approved codepages
don't
> > s> suit your purpose.
> >
> > Yes, PUA is another possibility.
>
> PUA?
> what is PUA?

Private Use Area codepoints. For example, E000..F8FF are available for
private use, and have no standard definition. That would certainly be
better than overloading the Latin blocks, as Feta does.

> all this disscussion aside I need a high quality music font with
> unicode encodings.
>
> which is my best bet.

I think you'll need to do a fair amount of work with fontforge or an
XML editor to create the font you're looking for. I think the easiest
approach would be to use the private block at E000..F8FF and remap the
feta glyph-names to codes in that range. I don't know how lilyxml
references fonts currently (by glyph-name in CWN?), but your
stylesheet would just need to contain the mapping between its current
references and your newly defined unicodes.

Harder would be to modify glyphs (perhaps including grouping and
transforming existing paths with <use> elements, as ChrisL mentions)
so that they fit the unicode def'n (which mostly relies upon Common
Western Notation, and specifically avoids time signature, pitch, etc,
leaving gaps to be filled). Then put any other left over feta glyphs
in the E000..F8FF block. This would be more viable long-term.

Looking at a sampling of existing music notation fonts (most
commercial or quasi-free), some take the approach feta did of
corrupting the Latin block, and some use the Private Use block. I
didn't see any that used the unicode Music Symbols block,
unfortunately. So I'm afraid any stylesheet you make will have to be
quite font-specific.

See:
http://www.music-notation.info/en/compmus/musicfonts.html
 and