From: Andreas Neumann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:28 AM
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [svg-developers] Re: SVG vs ? in Enterprise Applications

> I am in the process of designing/developing a Enterprise monitoring
> system which tracks all of batch processes that run for a particular
> organization and graphically displays job schedule information,
> dependencies, current runtimes, etc.

good decision!

> My question is: is there some inherent limitations in current SVG
> that prevent it from being used extensively for Enterprise web apps?

no, I don't think there are inherent limitations. There are limitations but
there are
workarounds.

One limitation is the high quality printing problem. A workaround would be
to use a FOP
processor to create a PDF from the dynamic SVGs. There are many FOP
processors
available (both commercial and open source) that can translate XSL-FO and
SVG to PDF.

Another limitation is the problem that the viewer is not installed on too
many machines.
But thats not a real problem. The users just need to install the plugin. The
size argument
does not count for me anymore. Every security update from MS, Apple and
Linux is many
times the size of the Adobe SVG viewer. And at times where people watch
streaming Audio
and Video, what does the size of 2.3 MB of the ASV plugin matter?

> What other technology is the currently the favorite among such
> applications? (Don't think flash is used a lot in this domain)

I don't know - my guess is that Flash, Java, WebCGM are the alternatives. In
the future for
the windows platform we will see .net/XAML apps. But those are limited to MS
only.

> Let's say if someone did not know SVG, what would they develop the UI
> in my hyperlink above with?

probably Java or Flash. Some crazy people would write DHTML apps. Its
amazing what you
can do with dynamic divs and raster images ...

> My request is: If you can give me examples on any such
> implementations? (Non-cartography)

http://www.wpsenergy.com/jayNick/default.asp has some very nice examples.
http://www.hmaservice.com/svgdemo/ from Hyundai also has lots of nice
examples