Hi again.
Thanks to everyone who provided help so far: I'd be lost without it.

It would seem that SVG-T does not support <symbol>.
It would also seem that <path> does not support having percentages as
co-ordinates. One must draw the line in a <symbol> and then <use> it,
transformed to 100%x100%. This works fine normally, but, as stated,
SVG-T doesn't like <symbol>.

It seems very odd to me that these two issues should essentially
eliminate the possibility of having path elements that are both
scaleable, and designed for use on mobiles. What facts am I missing?

Thanks,
Andrew.