--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Francis Hemsher"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Adobe has been both the blessing and a curse to SVG. Without the
Adobe
> SVG Viewer, SVG would not have had the opportunity to get started.
> Initially their efforts were focused exclusively on SVG. In the
recent
> past they have obviously reduced support of SVG, creating a 2-year
> limbo that has held back SVG's capabilities. Currently they have
> conflicting interests, via Flash, that will further dilute the
future
> of SVG if we were to continue to depend on their support.
>
> We must align ourselves with an strong, established entity that
will
> support SVG entirely.  Any takers...?
>
> So what else is new?
>
> To make this work will require the SVG development community
organize
> strongly and exclusively behind that entity.  Essentially we must
grab
> Microsoft by the balls to assure that SVG is seamlessly
incorporated in
> future browser editions. Otherwise, we're farting in the wind.
>
> Francis
Nice try, Francis.
I don't want to tread on someone's toes, nevertheless, who's supposed
to embody your 'we'. In the meantime, the forlorn svg-developers
yahoogroup doesn't show up that kind of strong activity of industry
relevant bodies in order to grab a certain somebody by the balls;-)
Seriously now, did you say that?
If people start telling stories about svg being a decent
webapplication platform, I'd consider it as a no-brainer for ms. An
activex webapp runtime? Ms certainly has better-off and more mature
solutions to offer here. If you're talking about vectors for the web
(and  desktop), they did vml years ago, which is not bad. Vml is a
public reasonable close implementation of what one would expect for
simple xml vector graphics, whichever adobe didn't like. Although
ms's expenses for cloning ie's vml behavior to a svg syntax probably
would have been within manageable limits, ms's customer base
obviously did not introduce a bill nor conclusive evidence to get
into these shoes.

Cheers
Paul