Jim,

Sidewinder wouldn't be conformant or non-conformant. We just pass a call to
the methods on a DOMImplementation to the implementations that we've
instantiated to create that implementation. In the case of an object that
'supports' SVG it would most likely be ASV (although it would depend on the
user's machine). So whether ASV (or whatever SVG plug-in is in use) is
non-conformant for claiming to support whatever feature strings it claims to
support, is something that I couldn't answer.

As to adding more and more hacks, no one doubts that you can keep adding
another line of script to test for yet another permutation. But as the world
of compound documents gets closer, don't you think that there needs to be a
generic solution that allows for testing not just for SVG, but for MathML,
XForms and so on? I recognise your criticisms of DOMImplementation, but at
some point we do need it to work...or rather it needs to be made to work.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Birbeck
CEO