Hi DD,

#1) What does your webserver return if you call the xml file directly?

#2) Have you tried different samples that use getURL()?

You could download

http://www.zuccaralloo.de/devgroup/downloads/restaurant_xml.zip

and see whether that runs.

#3) Do you just call static xml files or do you also execute some kind
of server-side script - accessing a database i.e.?

#4) ...

note: There are alternatives to xml and parseXML() if you just want to
get some data/values.

Regards,

Heiko

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "deeti_dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Dear Holger:
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestion. But this still does not
> solve my problem completely. If I run this code just as a stand
> alone program, it works okay, but the trouble starts when I call
> this svg page through webserver, and run the same code, I get getURL
> () failed! I also tried putting the whole path of the xml file in
> getURL(), and also the webserver address and the filename, still
> does not work, Both svg and xml files are in the same folder on the
> same machine.
>
> I would really appreciate it if anyone can throw some light on this
> problem...
>
> Thanks
> DD
>

> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Holger Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > deeti_dave schrieb:
> >
> > > Hi There,
> > >
> > > I am having trouble in using getURL()/parseXML() in svg. I am
> using
> > > a custom made webserver, could it be the one, not supporting the
> > > request? I am getting "request failed" alert everytime I try. I
> am
> > > using IE 6.0 browser, and I checked that it works fine when
> > > data from xml files in html pages. The svg part seems to be
> showing
> > > okay. I am using very simple code in my svg file here:
> > >

> > > var svgdoc;
> > >
> > > function getFile(evt){
> > >       svgdoc = evt.getTarget().getOwnerDocument();
> > >         getURL("testXML.xml", testFunction);
> > >         alert("HIIIIIII");
> > > }
> > >
> > > function testFunction(obj){
> > >         var string = '';
> > >       if(obj.success){
> > >             string = obj.content;
> > >             var xmldoc = parseXML(obj.content,svgdoc)
> > >             var nodes = xmldoc.childNodes;
> > >             for(var i=0; i<nodes.length; i++){
> > >                   var group = nodes.item(i);
> > >                   alert("group: "+group);
> > >             }
> > >
> > >       }else{
> > >                alert("request failed !")
> > >         }
> > > }
> > >

> > > my xml file is:
> > >
> > > <?xml version='1.0'?>
> > > <DOCUMENT>
> > >       <CUSTOMER>
> > >             <NAME>
> > >                   <LAST_NAME>Lname</LAST_NAME>
> > >                   <FIRST_NAME>Fname</FIRST_NAME>
> > >             </NAME>
> > >       </CUSTOMER>
> > > </DOCUMENT>
> > >

> > > I would really appreciate it if someone can help me...
> > > Thank you.
> > >

> > your code does work in IE+ASV6 when you remove the <?xml ?> prolog
> from
> > your .xml file.
> >
> > hth
> > Holger

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h4o3uvm/M=362131.6882499.7825260.1510227/D=groups/S=1706030389:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123555599/A=2889191/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life
- brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>