if you go for higher resoluted terrain representations I would
definitely do it in raster - it would be a mis-use of SVG to include
lots and lots of rectangles to simulate raster images.

There are several free and commercial tools out there that can deal
with terrain generation, processing and rendering.

Then you just have to include the raster image in SVG.

Andreas

> My main concern with that problem of relief lighting though, is
that each of
> my maps have about 4k pixels, and I suspect this may not be enough
to render
> anything good looking. Furthermore, I am not willing to split
these square
> pixels into vertices (I'm not too familiar with this, but I think
that would
> normally be the thing to do to get something nice), as this would
add to the
> SVG rendering engine burden, and they already do not perform too
well (either
> ASV3 or FF1.5) with that many objects. So all in all, I am
wondering if doing
> anything more sophisticated than "one altitude => one opacity"
will be really
> worth the pain. What do you think? Your answer will tell me how
much time
> I'll spend on that part ;-)
>
> > ANdreas
>
> I appreciate your help very much.
>
> Cheers,
> Sylvain

> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo!
Messenger

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM