Hi all,
I agree with Francis Hemsher. I read carefully that very good analysis by Jeff
Schiller, along with Michael Bierman's responses. I agree with everyone else's
observations and comments. I couldn't fail to notice that this situation is
very unusual for me, meaning the fact that I agree with everybody. Then I
quickly understood the reason: I, as an svg developer and fan, am in the same
boat as everyone else, and that boat is sinking. It's only natural then that we
would try to save our assets and belongings, having invested so much in terms
of time, attention and passion. Reading the status reports on Mozilla,
Evolgraphix and the rest, the picture is complete. The report on FF only
confirms the impressions I had a few days ago, salvation is not going to come
from there; as for the other actors, well, everybody read or knew already. So,
I say to myself, how can we save the boat from sinking? One answer comes to my
mind:

Adobe donates its ASV3 and 6 to the community as an Open project.

I'm going to defend this absurdity and expose the advantages for everyone,
including Adobe, point by point, but first let me ask anyone who has direct
access to the Adobe Olympus to forward this open letter, as improbable as it
may sound.

I deliberately choose not to expose my points in a rational, ordinal fashion,
but rather to use a free form style which is better suited to convey some of
the more morally oriented messages.

What is at stake is a form of art. The utilitarian aspect of SVG is to be
compared to the utilitarian aspect of architecture. The architect uses
artistic, as well as engineering, sciences and manipulates shapes, colors and
textures to create, after all, places that humans use daily. Svg is about to
reach maturity, and this scares. SVG was conceived as a free expression tool
and was designed to respond to a growing demand for a form of expression that
would give a relative, infant freedom to all those talents who were seeking to
get "outside" the computer's cage, who were seeking the means to not only
control the robot being borne in each machine language engine, but to be able
to orchestrate its inherent forces.

Adobe owns Flash. Big deal. That is probably the worst deal of the new born
century. Has anyone ever been know for deliberately trading a comfortable and
deserved image of avant-garde in computer arts, in exchange for, allow me,
possessing a "vulgar" synthesizing instrument? I'll be unequivocal about that
synthesizer, I saw the other day the new "movie" on the Adobe site. What kind
of joke is that? It's so... démodé. So miserable. Is this serious? Kindergarten
time should be over by now. Are we supposed to recede mentally to be able to
all use flash? Where are we? Where do you guys want to take us? Did we cross
millenaries of creation to end up with this? I refuse to be treated as stupid
and others do too. Our kids' lives are being damaged by this type of things
together with video games and poor rich multimedia content consumption.
Declared forms of schizophrenia are increasing in number among the young
population. Some disintoxication centers are starting to include computer
addiction in their programs. I am graciously starting a work in SVG on
schizophrenia, and then I see that. And I feel the rage against the machine,
your machine, not mine. One can clearly see what type of public Adobe wants to
target. There's a very appropriate French word for those, that you can't
translate: "blaireaux". Adobe never belonged to that world and now, that has
obviously become their aspiration. They've been hit by the mega corporation
syndrome.

I will eat oysters tonight and I might choke on one. Adobe's ceo might as well
be eating oysters tonight on his yacht or anywhere he pleases, and he might
choke on one. He'd be naked, there, with his oyster in his throat, just like
anyone else; he'd be gasping for oxygen; he might think then about the oxygen
he took away from us. Art stays, forever. Oysters and humans don't.

If I were the head of the Italian Art and Culture department and if I were in
the kind of mood that president Bush is in all the time, I would declare
Adobe's ceo "terrorist of the arts and evil doer", and he would be forbidden of
ever attempting to see the David or the Sistine Chapel. And he would also be
forbidden to use the Botticelli's as Illustrator's logo.

Corporative practices aren't any new. In the late Middle Ages things like the
Hanseatic league were flourishing and in the Mediterranean there were more
merchants than fish. The Wall street guys are choirboys compared to those
folks. Yet those people gave incessantly to their cities development and to the
Arts. Think of the Medicis. Do all the artist's names associated with them and
the renaissance mean anything? Are there any idiots left who still think it's
money that makes the world go round? Doesn't the Adobe CEO go to the theater,
the movies? Doesn't he listen to music? Doesn't he have paintings in his
office? Doesn't he have books in his library? Does he think books got written
by spontaneous ink generation on blank pages? What would be of Adobe's ceo if
he wasn't surrounded by all that, would he look at some flash movie? If he
didn't choke on the oyster would he choose to see a Federico Fellini or Orson
Welles or Marx brothers movie, or watch a flash "movie" for 2 hours? Shame on
him. Shame on the one who killed SVG to sell flash. Posterity won't fail to
pass judgment, and we don't fail either.

If the World Art and Culture department existed and if I were the head of it, I
would condemn Adobe's ceo to listen forever to a lousy piano bar musician
playing ersatz music on a synthesizer while watching a flash movie, until death
graciously delivers him.

Adobe + flash - SVG = suicide. In the brilliantly idiotic move to try to
counter XAML and whatever else on earth Microsoft will be getting out of the
hat soon, Adobe is naively thinking that flash is a weapon. But Microsoft never
feared flash, in fact they probably don't give a damn. IE7 unencumbered of a
thorny SVG plugin in its side, Microsoft will only jubilate. What a gift!
Thanks Adobe. On the other end heralding SVG means for Adobe the right to keep
its aura for the cost of some development money with little or no incidence on
the company's finances. Finances that were rightfully built on the revenues
from the very first version of Illustrator. What we bought (I never did) was
the spirit, independently of the tool. Adobe now sees as a smart move to
renegade it's own spirit, without any need to do that, just out of sheer
expansionism velleities. We don't have nothing to do of this Adobe.

But of course, we know how greedy corporations can get, spending one penny on a
thing that won't bring back dividends is out of the question. No investment for
arts, no sustaining of the efforts to reduce spreading famine all over the
world, no this, no that, except for tax return purposes. Nothing that doesn't
bring in dividends. 'Cause corporation guys are smart guys, remember. They are
the smartest guys on earth, didn't we know yet? They lead the world and conquer
new markets. They are the smart guys. Pathetic.

But, really, Adobe do not need to spend one penny if they feel it's so negative
in terms of investment; they just simply need to:

Donate the ASV project to the community to make it become an Open project.

The dividends? The glory and the coherence with its own image in the case of
donation or continued sponsoring. The blame of posterity in the case of the
assassination of SVG.

SVG has never hurt flash, not being in the same market and with a different
public target. SVG does not target the "blaireaux", although it never brought
any harm to them to be exposed to Art consumption. It's a false notion that the
public is stupid. People are sensitive to nice things when they get a chance to
discover them. Obscurantism has always been the prerogative of vile merchants
and people's ignorance one of their fake arguments. Anyway, a very large part
of the population seems to be eager to be kept in that pitiful passive consumer
state. Adobe can always sell flash to that layer of the population.

Adobe has a wonderful opportunity to embrace a mission, in coherence with the
charismatic image it always had. Alternatively, by simply rejecting that
mission it becomes an enemy of the arts and will inexorably loose that
charismatic image. The word will spread and the spell will be cast, and it will
loose its money up to the very last single tiny little penny and it shall live
unhappily in guilt and with no oysters until the end of time.

Domenico Strazzullo

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/1U_rlB/TM