hi christophe

my intention is to have a full functional interface, as much as the
actual technology permits (and reaches technically speaking some
significant percentage of users). concerning map interfaces, my
philosophy is to make them supernumerary, as much as possible. i can
think about ~5 methods for zoom in and as much to pan around. i would
never tell you to remove "+"/"-"-buttons, but i wont be happy if someone
sets zoomAndPan="disable" if there is no good reason for. replacing
zoomAndPan by "+"/"-"-buttons is what i would call "downgrading". having
them *in parallel* is a richer interface and that's what i preach for here.

hoping to make things clearer...

andré

> Do you mean it's OK to disable "+" and "-" and replace them with Crlt+drag
> for zooming? If that is what you imply with your argument about "downgrading"
> (which I did not ask for), then your argument about downgrading falls flat.
> Keeping "+" and "-" is not downgrading, but removing it amounts to exlusion
> of certain groups (to which any of us might belong one day).
>
> Regards,
>
> Christophe

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<http://www.vectoreal.com/>          SVG consulting and development
<http://www.carto.net/>          online cartography focusing on SVG