hi,

>  >take a map and let users (or yourself) zoom in. once you know there is a
>  >ctrl+drag, you never touch the archaic "+" and "-" buttons anymore. it
>  >really makes a difference in usablility.
>
> Is this impossible when disabling zoom and pan?

no
> Is it possible to work
> it out using JavaScript and event handlers?

yes. but this needs a lot of code. with ctrl+drag i was speaking about
the viewer's build in functionality (ASV and squiggle). enable
zoomAndPan and you have it, without any scripting.

> Yes, it will not harm the viewer. But when I can write something in 10
> lines, I won't use another method which takes 50 lines. Better for
> low-bandwidth connections and the program code will be easier to maintain.

when within your 10 lines, important interface elements are grayed out,
then it's worth looking at the lines 11-50. btw bandwidth is not an
argument. we are speaking about maps (aren't we?). in big mapping
projects with ~1500 lines of code this part still makes not more than
10% compared to the 90% of ... vector data.

> => Have you ever used rotation of a map? I will try this for the pda
> application when I turn the map according to the walking direction of
> the user. Seems like a rotate on the map element will do the trick?

no, i only turn my laptop when i need to find that little restet hole ;-/

more seriously, there should be no problem turning the map. you will get
problems with your interface if you have one and with text placement.
depending on your coordinate system turning itself is a funny thing...

> 7) I've been looking for a way to change the styles of a map (or user
> interface) on the fly. CSS doesn't work because I can't change the link
> to the CSS-file. Do you know any methods for this? One example is
> providing a night and a day map.

there have been people playing on this, it works somehow depending on
the viewer. as i don't like CSS, i never came across this. btw, CSS
isn't very well supported in the mobile SVG viewer world.

andré

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<http://www.vectoreal.com/>          SVG consulting and development
<http://www.carto.net/>          online cartography focusing on SVG