Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a good source for mapping
algorithms.

I'm trying to map graph vertices (which in my specific case
represent both client and server computers, each with a specific IP
address) onto a 2-D SVG canvas.  The vertices are represented by
circles of varying sizes.  Lines are used to depict graph edges
(which in this case represent client-server connections).

A nice algorithm would place the vertices onto the SVG canvas
(loosely by IP address) so that:

1. They don't overlap
2. They're not too crowded, i.e. they've got a bit of elbow-room
3. They're not too widely separated (even if their IP address *are*
far apart, i.e. there's not huge amounts of white-space on the
canvas)
4. Vertices with similar addresses are positioned close to each other
5. Vertices with dissimilar addresses are not as close together

I realize that these requirements can't be met 100%.  I guess I'm
looking for an algorithm that might be a good compromise.

One other feature of the graph is that it will be nearly bipartite,
a subgraph of clients with no connections between the clients, and a
subgraph of servers with a very small number of connections between
the servers, but plenty of connections between the two subgraphs.

I'm thinking a nice arrangement might be to position "server"
vertices in the center of the SVG canvas, and "client" vertices
surrounding them.

If you can give me any tips, thanks.

Doug