--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Jon Ferraiolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To elaborate on Bjoern's comments, if script elements point to external
> JavaScript, then the timing of the HTTP requests to pull down the
various
> JavaScript files is uncertain, and thus other elements in the DOM tree
> might have been parsed and processed before the script logic associated
> with a given script element is executed.
>
> I assume that HTML has the same limitation as SVG in this regard.
(If not,
> then SVG should include whatever feature that HTML has.)

In text/html content browsers support document.write/document.writeln
to insert content while the page loads at the place of the script
element (respectively the document.write/writeln call) so the common
implementations block HTML parsing until script has been fetched and
executed.
The HTML 4 specfication for the HTML script element defines an
attribute named defer that authors can apply to indicate to the user
agent that fetching/executing of the script code can be deferred as it
does not add content.
Of the major browsers I think only IE supports the defer attribute,
meaning it really defers script fetching and parsing if the attribute
is present.

For real XHTML (XHTML served as application/xhtml+xml or
application/xml or text/xml) the situation is much different, while
docment.write/writeln is part of the W3C DOM Level 2 HTML module
saying it applies to both HTML 4.01 as well as XHTML 1.0 documents
browser implementors have refused to implement document.write/writeln
in XHTML documents. And with Mozilla at least one major implementation
exists that acknowledges that its XML parsing and rendering is not
done incrementally
<http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html#xhtmldiff>. Thus
with Mozilla and XHTML you can't rely on your script being parsed and
executed before any XHTML elements that follow.