--Antoine Quint wrote:--
"There may of course be features which Opera is worse than ASV in
terms of performance, but I generally find Opera equally as fast or
faster than ASV and since it has SVG features implemented natively, I
consider it to be a superior implementation to ASV."

In general, I would agree.

The contexts in which Opera is slower than IE generally, if not always from
my experience, seem to involve SVG animation.

But, when it comes to raw under-the-hood programming in the browsers, take a
peek at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/stringtimer.html.
IE shows quadratic increases of time allocation for concatenating strings in
JavaScript as a function of string length -- in plain old HTML. (One may
work around it by pushing and popping from arrays). Opera and FF both give
the impression that the underlying code was properly implemented, in a sort
of programming 102, sense. Opera is lightning-fast.

Generally IE/ASV is a bit more tolerant in following bad code (that some of
us might write from time to time) than Opera,  though I've encountered a
number of cases in which IE/ASV fails to follow the specs when Opera does.
Opera is considerably more tolerant than FF.

In http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/wiggleline.svg for
example, ASV fails to implement the SMIL animation of the
attributeName="stroke-dasharray" . These sort of examples are likely to be
encountered as one probes the edges of the 1.1 recommendation.

And of course, being a living piece of code, Opera is way ahead in terms of
beginning to implement things from SVG 1.2. The fact that it understands XML
and XPATH and allows multiple namespaces to coexist (without ugly
workarounds) etc. etc. If IE's market share were 10% instead of whatever it
actually is, I suspect developers would choose to ignore it altogether,
since it does require one to write a lot of workarounds.

David

http://us.click.yahoo.com/kOt0.A/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM