--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "meikelneu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There seems to be a great solution for simple vector graphics that can
> be seen in any browser without a plugin: It's the JavaScript library
> dojo (http://www.dojotoolkit.org/) which has the ability to render
> vector graphics in either SVG (Firefox, Opera, Webkit) or VML
> (InternetExplorer).

> While this may be a bad idea for the SVG purist, there are chances for
> real world apps. What do you think?

Absolutely. I've designed a feature of our commercial network
management service, Masergy Network Analyst 2.0, using dojo.gfx, and
we're very happy with the results. While the product itself is
available only to customers, I've posted some screenshots at:
  http://www.flickr.com/gp/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/fG8zN3

While we've used SVG internally for a number of years for our own
traffic engineering applications, we could never push a solution to
our customers that required a plugin, applet, etc. When dojo.gfx
reached maturity (recent builds include text handling), we decided to
give it a go, and it's been great. I miss being able to pass
declarative SVG document fragments and just load those into the DOM,
as we now have to use dojo's client-side API to modify the canvas, but
it's pratically miraculous how much functionality works on both IE and
Firefox, plus Opera and Webkit builds.

Both firefox and IE have some marginal performance for large DOM trees
of SVG documents, but it's manageable.

What I've done with dojo.gfx is to wrap the presentation and data
binding logic into our own javascript objects representing logical
visual elements. Firefox and IE respect a large amount of similar CSS
for both SVG and HTML, so styling can be done with external stylesheets.

As I say, we (and our customers) are very happy with the results.

Thanks,
---
Kirby Files
Software Architect