Hi Michael,

> In an attempt to try this out we built an interactive population
> pyramid which you can see here:
> http://www.destatis.de/laenderpyramiden/index.html
> Sorry, this in in german only but you'll get the idea.
>
> Performance in IE is poor but it works without any plugin and even
> prints as vectors (IE and Webkit only).
>
> While this may be a bad idea for the SVG purist, there are chances
for
> real world apps. What do you think?

>From a pragmatic point of view, absolutely. Especially for
applications that need to work NOW and not in some distant future
where IE decides to implement SVG as well ... But I still see things
like dojo (and others) as an intermediate solution until IE
implements SVG ... I still have hope ...

The problem with all the Ajax toolkits is that they aren't designed
to be compatible with each other and you are basically trapped in one
solution. But thats with a lot of other technologies as well.

A lot of real world applications already use that approach, like
Google Maps, Microsoft Maps (forgot what that product was called),
the Google Office suite (esp. the presentations and charting module).
So, such an approach really works today.

Andreas