SVG is probably a dead duck. I have not wanted to invest any more work in it
for more than a year. This is not to say that I dislike SVG much at all, but
the Adobe plugin has a lot of problems, and SVG is nowhere near as
universally available as Silverlight already is. I gave up when the new
Mozilla stuff was barely functional, and Opera was even worse. Since IE no
longer handles SVG, you can continue banging your head on the wall, or just
make the pragmatic decision and go with Silverlight.

Silverlight has hit the ground running hard. It isn't going to do the
members of this group any good to put their heads in the ground and hope
that it will go away and that SVG will somehow rise from its longtime
sickbed.

There have been lots of good things to go by the wayside, such as Ventura
Publisher (which is still the best page layout program nobody has heard
about) but is probably very dead since there isn't any money to be made in
developing it any further.

Microsoft has spent their millions developing Silverlight, and it shows. It
is relevant to the more honest and/or pragmatic members of this group, who
are going to have to decide how to migrate their code to something that is
going to be more widely available than SVG.

I could hardly care less about whether it is open-sourced or not. I just
don't see how volunteer efforts can find a revenue stream to keep up with
proprietary code. I just want a platform for my ideas, and I will pay for
good tools.

Just the rendering speed of Silverlight is something really exciting.
Ordinary mortals can code really fast complex graphics without having to
deal with low level graphic details. If SVG could do this (and had a
well-financed patron behind it) nobody would even care about Silverlight.

People here don't generally post about Flash, because we've been there and
found it seriously wanting in flexibility and programming ease.

I am not a lurking Microsoft person, though I have worked there as a
somewhat resentful permatemp a couple of times. I am perfectly aware that
Microsoft doesn't always play so nice.

But Silverlight really is kewl. I am honestly very excited about it and I
will leave it at that.

  _____