--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Lincoln Mitchell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope no one feels I am trying to poach members off this list by
writing
> this post. I feel it's a constructive response top the silver light
thread
> that may help some members of the list.
>
> I have been a SVG evangelist for many years even to the point where
it
> contributed to me losing my job. Over the years I have had to admit
that SVG
> was not going to meet my goal of creating great looking user
interfaces.

Excuse me, but speak for yourself. Was SVG that didn't meet your
goal? Shouldn't you phrase like this instead: "I wasn't able to meet
my goal of creating great looking user interfaces using SVG"

> Then I read about RIA's and I think I now have a path and it may
even
> include SVG.

RIA is only a conceptual denomination, like multimedia used to be. If
you consider that a path, I'm scared. If you're striving to be a
creator I urge you to get a deeper insight.

> I was reading the posts on Silverlight. From my knowledge
Silverlight is one
> of many new Rich Internet Applications (RIA) that aim take the web
to the
> next creative level. I my self use the RIA Flex/Flash/Apollo and I
have also
> of Java FX as a contender in this space. Seems all the big boys are
in on
> this.

That is the eternal promise that we are going to be smashed by the
next compelling experience brought to us by so and so. The reality is
different, those packages really act as constrictors of the
imagination, being based on the principle of tool and object
libraries. The designer or the programmer ends up being a simple
assembler. I'm not talking business here, I'm talking creation since
you use that concept. RIA does not mean we are going to be cloning
interfaces and applications the same way that has happened in the
video game market. No, thanks. A programmer uses a totally different
bias, he must have, or must acquire, the ability to find imaginative
solutions using whatever language he sees as the most appropriate.
And a designer cannot be confined to a little set of CTT (Cute Tiny
Tools). Let's not confuse tools and toys. Tools are for workers; toys
are for children to simulate work. Where SVG is a concept, these
other "magic tools" are produced with the sole intention of selling
encapsulated copies of open standard languages under the
label "elixir of creation".

> It appears to me that SVG offers only one part of the puzzle that
makes up a
> RIA. It should not therefore be compared to the whole of a RIA but
to a part
> of it, the part that deals with rendering vector images.

I don't think anyone ever dreamt of comparing SVG to the whole of a
RIA, as you say. This is truly extraordinary!

> W3C is started a Rich Web Client (RWC) activity that will include
SVG. Here
> is the link. http://www.w3.org/2006/rwc/
>
> Simply put - If you are trying to use SVG to create next generation
UI's
> then you are not using the right tool.

You are making a statement against opposing evidence.

> I believe many members like myself
> will come to this conclusion and partially or fully leave the SVG
arena for
> a while at least until this W3C RWC initiative becomes a standard
with SVG
> as a core technology.

If you, together with many members, think that butterflying from one
flower to the other will make a better creator of you, then good luck!

> In saying that I personally will not be abandoning SVG altogether.
It is
> possible to integrate inline SVG within Flex. Not sure if
Silverlight can do
> this, if it can't I would encourage UI oriented members of the
group to
> follow suit and see what's possible with SVG/Flex at least till
W3C's RWC
> catches up.

W3C doesn't normally "catch up". It does a totally different thing.

> For those not interested in corporate software, you will be please
to know
> that Flex is to become open source. If the SVG community gets
behind the
> future development of Flex then we could extend this SVG RIA
development
> environment whilst also contributing to the w3c efforts.

It's unlikely that that should happen.

> I think many on the list are like me - a UI guy that thought SVG
would take
> me to utopia.

That's very nice. But take a look around, you ARE in utopia!

> So to you I hope this post helps to put things in perspective.
> And maybe we could get of the backs of all the other SVG guys that
clearly
> take offence to our ramblings.

Please, don't generalize. Your message is very clear and deserves all
the attention.

Kind regards,

Domenico