--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Bruder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "cwflamont" <charles@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Should Opera do this?:
> >
> > http://www.gateho.nildram.co.uk/temp/graphics/SVG/
> svg_circle_object_onload_debug.html
> >
> > Surely the colour should change before the final alert appears?
> >

> I'm not sure which specification to consult here, or if it's
> specified at all, but I think re-rendering the document before the
> processing of an event has finished is not required. When you're
> changing the DOM then updating the rendering at intermediate steps
> (like after you've added a circle but before you've set its cx, cy,
> r, and fill attributes) is normally undesired.

I agree that one would not sensibly expect to update the rendering
before having defined what is to be rendered, but I don't think that
is what I am trying to do.

I instrumented the script in order to debug it, and found that
browsers did not treat it as I expected, and I am therefore asking
what my expectations should be.

I am expecting to render an object SVG, and then use the script to
change it, in between other things (alerts) happening.

> Whether the document should be re-rendered before an alert or prompt
> is called is another question. I could think of situations in which
> such a behaviour might be desirable. But I don't think it's specified
> anywhere that browsers should do so.

I find this rather surprising. In general, surely, one should be able
to rely on a browser to do things strictly in the order it is asked to
by a script: alert me to the fact that you are about to turn the red
circle blue; turn it blue; tell me I should be able to see it has been
turned blue? Otherwise, how can you be sure what is being displayed when?

Are you saying that alerts are an unusual case and that I should
expect browsers to treat them unpredictably? (Initially I put "should
I expect browsers to behave unpredictably?" but realized that was far
too naive.) If that is the case, what better simple means could I use
for run-time instrumentation of my scripts?