On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:41:50 -0000
"cwflamont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I find this rather surprising. In general, surely, one should be able
> to rely on a browser to do things strictly in the order it is asked to
> by a script: alert me to the fact that you are about to turn the red
> circle blue; turn it blue; tell me I should be able to see it has been
> turned blue? Otherwise, how can you be sure what is being displayed
> when?
>
> Are you saying that alerts are an unusual case and that I should
> expect browsers to treat them unpredictably? (Initially I put "should
> I expect browsers to behave unpredictably?" but realized that was far
> too naive.) If that is the case, what better simple means could I use
> for run-time instrumentation of my scripts?

The thing that violates your expectations is fact that the browser
doesn't work in a single-threaded serial fashion. With downloads,
scripts, and user events all available at once, the browser can't use a
serial approach to things.

For example, you might not want a JavaScript alert to hang the whole
browser. (Can you say "denial of service"?) So, the browser might send
an event to the UI subsystem to launch an alert window.

In SVG, we have the circumstance that the JavaScript will likely make
changes to the DOM. Rather than re-rending the DOM after each change,
the browser might make all of the changes and then queue a re-render at
the end of the running of the script.

These kinds of design decisions help the responsiveness of the tool,
but they make programming much more "interesting". Any time you leave
the serial programming world, one of the things you lose is a guarantee
of reproducible behavior.

Good luck and have fun,
G. Wade
--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.