You may be interested in related replies into the SVG WG mailing list
[1], in particular the reply [2] and its follow up [3].

> getUrl/postUrl are supported in:
>
> * the Adobe SVG Viewer
> * Apache Batik
> * the Bitflash mobile SVG viewer
> * Ikivo mobile SVG Player
> * eSVG (http://esvg.ultimodule.com/bin/esvg/templates/default.asp?
> _resolutionfile=templatespath|default.asp&area_3=pages/features)

I'm not sure if all implementations support both methods. I recall the
case of eSVG and Batik which, according to the documentation, only
support getURL. Could someone confirm which implementation supports
which method(s), possibly updating the viewer matrix [4]
("Communication" row) directly? If one prefers posting a follow up to
this thread, I'll be glad to do afterward! :-)

Sorry for cross-posting but the thread was started in both mailing
lists. ;-)

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/