I have what I think must be a fairly common requirement: I need an efficient
method for calculating the minimum distance from a point to a curve. It
would be possible to solve this problem numerically in JavaScript, but I'm
not confident that JavaScript would be efficient enough, and I'm wondering
if there isn't something built into the SVG spec that might be leveraged to
help with this.

I'd appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thanks,

Jake