--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Dagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Jake,
> I've just started to calculate the case of Bezier2, in order to
obtain
> the algorithm. I am glad that you found the solution. This also
saved
> me from the calculation.
>
> If a curve is defined by a bunch of points, I propose a simple
> algorithm that should work for most of the cases (excluding some
cases
> with inflection points):
> (1) Calculate the 3 distances - 2 to the end points of the curve
and
> one to a middle point.
> (2) Continue with the curve limited by the end point with shortest
> distance and the middle point. Now you are left with a curve of
about
> half of the length of the previous.
> (3). Calculate the distance of the middle point of the new curve.
> (4). You have now again two end points and and one middle. From
here
> on repeat (2) and (3) till you get the required minimal distance.
>
> This algorithm lets you calculate number of distances much lower
than
> the number of the total points of the curve. For instance if you
have
> 1000 points in total, you'll finish with calculating about 10
distances.
> Good luck, Samy

Are you kidding? Let's try to imagine 5 points- P1, P2, P3, P4 and
P5. P1 and P5 are end points, P3 is the middle one. If the distance
from P0 to P1 is less than distance from P0 to P5, you
recommendation is to select point P1, P2, P3. Well but why do you
think, that distance from P0 to P4 cannot be less than from P0 to
P1?!