Andreas wrote:
"not sure I fully understand your requirement. Are you looking for a
progressive drawing of a path geometry? If yes, you can do this by
animating the stroke-dash of a path."

Examples are provided: [1] and [2]. Yes; exactly what I was asking for.
Pretty clever it is!

Now I have a new question - consider the example at
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/unveilPath.svg (it uses SMIL
so be sure to use a proper browser)

I've simplified the basic example as much as I can, and am trying to
animate the fill to follow the animation of the path. Clearly this is a
kludge. However, what I did think of was the following: how about I
stick a copy of the first half of the path (with its animated
stroke-dash) inside a clipPath and then apply the  clipPath to the
original path. Then shouldn't the growth of the clipping region unveil
the path as well as its fill, concurrently?

Alas, it didn't work. From the spec [3] , we find that

"The raw geometry of each child element exclusive of rendering
properties such as 'fill'
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#FillProperty> , 'stroke'
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#StrokeProperty> , 'stroke-width'
<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#StrokeWidthProperty>  within a
'clipPath' conceptually defines a 1-bit mask (with the possible
exception of anti-aliasing along the edge of the geometry) which
represents the silhouette of the graphics associated with that element."

This means that the animation of the rendering properties won't affect
the footprint of an object inside a clipPath. Too bad.  It looks like
it's back to script for this. Ultimately I want to simulate the growth
of a live tree (the kind with bark) and progressive drawing seemed like
a useful approach. Is there a reason (other than cross-browser
consistency) that the spec limits the footprint to the "raw geometry?"
An object's silhouette as modified by stroke properties could be quite
handy for exactly this purpose.

Cheers,
David

[1] http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/samples/animated_bustrack.shtml