This is an interesting question, but I'm not sure my answer will be interesting
or definitive, but let me go ahead and make a stab at it. If I miss something
obvious then others will likely correct the oversight:

My first thought was that it may be relative to what is being animated. For
example in the case of an object following a path, we may use the path length
methods to figure out intermediate points (see for example
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/curve.svg) but in the case of
another SMIL animation, the fine-tuned control of that object within the
<animate> tag does not (at least as I think about it now) reveal such.

On the other hand (as some people involved in fakeSMIL have probably
leveraged),
<tag id="Q"><animate attributeName="something" values="a1;a2;...;an" dur="k"
...></tag> is pretty much the same as
function animate(){
    code to assign v to proper values of [a1,a2,...,an] over dur k
    code to terminate loop based on value of dur, tinytime, repeatCount and a
loopcounter
    document.getElementById("Q").setAttributeNS(null, something, v)
    window.setTimeout(tinytime, "animate()")
}
(modulo my imprecision)

so another function which takes a parameter from the slider and simply moves
setAttribute of Q to something, in one static moment would probably accomplish
exactly the same thing.

Of course, if the animation is complicated by having multiple attributes
animated for differing durations and the like -- there would have to be a chunk
of code using the above approach.

Can anyone thing of a more purely SMIL-y solution?

cheers
David