Take a look at http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/followPath13.svg in a
browser that supports SMIL (I've tested in IE/ASV or Opera 9.6).

I was trying to make it so that the animation of the dash-offset of a path
inside a mask would make an object appear to slither, worm-wise,  along a path.
I was modeling it (sort of ) after this
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/bezier/bezier5.html (IE only)
that I did when the world was young using VML and no SMIL.

I couldn't figure out a way, though, to get the animation to start inside a
path, crawling outward from the beginning and expanding and then shrinking back
as it reaches the end -- I tried several different settings of the dash array
to try to accomplish what I had in mind. Instead, I ended up fading the last
half of the worm as soon as its new path was determined through fading it to
transparent (before removing it from the DOM).

Any ideas on how to get it to do what I want to?

thanks in advance
David