--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "ddailey" <ddai...@...> wrote:

> Hi Andrew
> Yes, I wondered if you had seen the things about "diffusion
curves" introduced at this year's SIGGraph.

http://artis.imag.fr/Publications/2008/OBWBTS08/diffusion_curves.pdf
. It was presented by some folks from INRIA, Grenoble U, U of
Washington and  Adobe. They seem to be talking about much the same
thing as what you have been talking about and have similar
observations about the limitations of more "primitive" gradients. It
starts with a cubic bezier and then allows color gradients on either
side, together with a set of blur control points that control the
transitions between the two halves. They also have come up with a
way of computing all this in a practical way, that looks very
promising. A brief demo can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=lEVe7vU5WiU .

> The work certainly reminded me of what you've been working with
for some years now, though it may in fact be a quite distinct
approach.

> Regards
> David

Thanks, I new about them. I was trying to make contact with all of
authors, listed in quoted article. One answerd me once:
>Hi Andrew,
>indeed, your work seems to be very similar to ours! Especially your
>vectorization results are very neat, and your color interpolation
>seems to be faster than our diffusion process.
>From our experience, users of gradient meshes are looking forward
>to play with more intuitive tools for the creation of smooth vector
>gradients.
>Thanks for showing us your results, let us know about your next
>projects,
>Regards
>Adrien (Bousseau)
It was the first and the last my contact with this group. No matter
what efficient solutions I offer, the real use will be only if at
last one vector file format will be expanded. Well, I'll inform this
group when the next version of my converter is complete to testing.
Currently I have some problems with preserving original colors
during resizing.
regards,