--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Nellis <nelli...@...>
wrote:

> I wonder if a 2nd pair of eyes might see a problem with my SVG
code
> in this page:
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/nellisks/svg/kakuro/wp.07-10-28.svg
>
> Safari 3.2.1 with ASV3 and Firefox 3.0.4 and Camino 1.6.5 render
the
> Kakuro puzzle as desired, but Safari w/out ASV3 renders impossibly
> large text, just as did Opera 9.25. The current version of Opera
> (9.62) renders no text at all, unless its positioned outside the
> window. (This is the one "worse" thing that I've identified so far
> about Safari's SVG rendering over ASV's.)
>
> —Ken Nellis

I've tested it in Squiggle, Apache Batik 1.7, and that looked okay
too. There seems nothing to be wrong with your code.

I was able to make it work in Opera 9.62 by removing the <style>
element and adding
 font-size="0.275px" fill="white"
to the containing <g> element instead. This also is a shorter
notation.

Interestingly, when instead of using the font-size attribue I declare
the font size in the style attribute of the <g> element, it does not
work. So the problem occurs when CSS is used to set the font size,
but not with the presentation attribute. I don't see any reason why
both notations should not be equivalent in this case. This seems to
be a bug in Opera.

I've encountered the similar problem that setting the font family in
a CSS stylesheet didn't work in Opera, whereas using the presentation
attribute worked.

Now I'm curious if removing the CSS and using presentation attributes
would also make it work in Safari. When CSS is applied to SGML or XML
text it makes sense to let the user set a minimum font size, which
overwrites author stylesheets, and in a flow layout this would do no
harm. Maybe this, in combination with the identification of CSS
pixels with current user coordinate units is at the root of Safari's
problem. If that's the case, then it might be avoided by using
presentation attributes, assuming these are not internally translated
to CSS and handled by the CSS engine.

Regards
 Frank