Hi, Folks-

I think David is right, a mask is the correct thing to do here, but it's
not very intuitive.

It does seem strange that there is no easy way to reverse the clip-path.
  Last week, I filed a feature request to add it in SVG 2; that doesn't
help right now, but it will make things easier in the future.

  http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2354

Regards-
-Doug