In this example: http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/notknot2.svg
I see the following results:
IE/ASV and FF4 agree with me about the timing...
Opera seems to synchronize the declarative animation differently between the
application of the mask and the vehicles...
Safari and Chrome do not seem to activate the animation of the mask.

Background story can be seen here:
http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/knots.html, it leads into the above
experiment and to some of the following concerns:
Let's limit our consideration to the FF4 and IE+ASV version (since they did
what I intended -- not that that is right of course -- I think one could simply
change the timing and make it work in Opera instead)

1. I was pleased to be able to simulate a knot using a single path, since the
semantics makes sense. My previous forays into the subject (at above link) had
various problems associated with both semantics and the size of the DOM. I was
also pleased with how a couple of simple re-uses of that path (like some of the
vector effects techniques I suppose) suffice to simulate a fill and a texture
to the road.

2. The blue car goes under the underpass and over the overpass as it should,
though the red car doesn't. This is due to a trick: I gave the bridge magical
properties and put the car under its spell. Specifically, the car has a mask
applied (as a sort of inverse clipPath -- Doug Schepers says he's opened a WG
issue on the issue of inverse clipPaths) based on a "subpath"* of the road and
the mask animates between white and black in a way planned to synchronize with
the car's approach to the bridge. The bridge doesn't know that the car is
approaching**, it is just synchronized through a common time interval on the
SMIL loop.  The red car is under the same influence of the mask, but the mask
has not been programmed for the red car's arrival.

3. Can anyone think of an easier way to do this? What if the cars are all
moving at different speeds that have perhaps been randomized?

4. One could build the road as a series of segments and then have the car leap
from segment to segment, and change its stacking order within the DOM as it
goes -- but that would be rather script heavy, semantically inaccessible and
distinctly inelegant.

5. Is Opera or FF and ASV right on the timing? I hope for the latter simply
since I don't want to have to rethink my bridges.

cheers
David

* One can think of subpaths as unioned into a "superpath". Vector effects in
SVG 1.2 covers a part of this.
** Though it might be nice to be able to determine that without have to
calculate it through script or paper and pencil but to expose the animated
values.