  From: Erik Dahlstrom
  To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 8:44 AM
  Subject: Re: [svg-developers] SVG Fonts

  On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:46:27 +0100, scalablev <s...@oyvindeid.com> wrote:

  > Looks like http://zuccaralloo.de/devgroup/samples/complexPaths.svg only
  > displays as it should in ASV. Is this because native implementations
  > don't support SVG Fonts?

  No, it's because most implementations haven't implemented support for
  anything else than the tiny subset of SVG Fonts, see
  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/fonts.html. Essentially what this means is
  that arbitrary svg markup inside a <glyph> element isn't supported, only
  <glyph> elements that have a 'd' attribute will be rendered. Try it in
  Opera or WebKit for example. Here's another example:
  http://www.treebuilder.de/default.asp?file=192928.xml.

  > After some googling around, I understand that WOFF is the recommended
  > alternative to SVG Fonts. Can I achieve the same with WOFF, i.e. custom
  > symbols along paths? I need this for various elements in webmap
  > applications.

  Well, WOFF couldn't do some of the things in that complexPaths example
  either, e.g using multiple colors in a glyph, or using strokes to define
  the glyph. Also at the time of writing I think you'll find that TTF fonts
  will get you a slightly broader range of support in browsers, unless you
  are specifically targetting the only the very latest browser releases.

  I don't think there's that much you could do with a WOFF font that you
  couldn't do with an SVG Font (even the svgtiny subset, or for that matter
  any other font format supported in browsers today TTF/OTF/EOT), at least
  if your goal is making symbols.

  Cheers
  /Erik

  Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group