On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:03:37 +0100, scalablev <s...@oyvindeid.com> wrote:

> http://www.treebuilder.de/default.asp?file=192928.xml actually crashes
> my Firefox 3.6. Looks ok in Opera, but not in IE9 beta. SVG Fonts won't
> be supported in IE9 according to Microsoft. I'm assuming this includes
> the tiny subset. Can anything be done with the example to make it render
> properly in IE9 do you think?

It's possible to make a javascript to emulate SVGFonts, and it'll probably
work ok for at least the simpler cases. Textpath would probably need some
additional care.

For textpath to work it would have to position the glyphs along the path
using e.g the DOM methods for the path element to find the rotation for a
given distance along the curve. Getting the glyph paths is easy since
that's available in the svgfont and the syntax is the same as the 'd'
attribute in path elements. It wouldn't be real text then of course, but
it would still look ok. The rest is mostly just scaling and positioning,
and mapping the input characters to glyphs.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group