I've been building browser GUIs using frames for years and my first gut
reaction to seeing that they're not included in new standard was great
disappointment. As you may have noticed, I've been spending the majority of my
attention lately on websockets, so I haven't actually worked at upgrading my
interface stuff to HTML5 yet. What does HTML5 have to replace frames?

My apps tend to have several interacting frames; some displaying output and
some for input kinds of things. I can build specialized application components
as web pages and pop them into frames as needed - while keeping the basic app
running. Information can be exchanged between frames, buttons in a top frame
can control the others, etc.
I think I saw an HTML5 demo app running in a google seminar I saw on YouTube
that was very frame-like; but I don't recall the details on how it was done.

It's not a problem. It's an opportunity.
Correlation does not prove causality.      Truphone