Thanks Björn,

That tells me how to fix it, and now that you explain it, it sorta reminds
me that maybe someone already cited for me the lines in the spec that say

“don’t expect to measure anything that has only been defined but never
drawn”  --- (that sounds like how spec writers write doesn’t it? I kid.
Actually it sounds more like a Zen koan spoken by a very grumpy Zen master.)

Apologies to that someone if so – I am forgetful.

Is there such a dictum? If so, I think I’d rather fuss to the SVG WG than to
have to change my example, since it’s a lot more elegant to do it this way
than to draw the content out somewhere near negative infinity (assuming that
we’ll never scroll over there), or to draw it and then measure it and then
hide it just because someone read the spec more carefully than the others??

Well, phooey, my lesson is getting written a little more slowly than I had
hoped.

Regards and thanks again,

David