Suppose, for purposes of accessibility, we wished to replace the paths in
the HTML5 logo [1], by actual characters in a font.  We not only  want the
text to be accessible to screen readers but to selection by the cursor,
indexing by search agents, and restyling through menus of assistive fonts
that address various different accessibility needs (e.g.,  Braille,
TexturePath(future) or the like).

While <desc> and <title> might tell someone what the letters are, they don't
help with most of these purposes.

The two natural solutions would be SVG fonts and WOFF both of which are
standards supported to some extent (though only SVG fonts are currently a
recommendation I think) by the W3C.

Now suppose at the same time we wish to reveal the geometry of the H, the T,
the M, the L, and the 5 to the unsighted viewer who might wish to know not
just what these shapes signify (as revealed by title or desc -- namely
letters of the word HTML), but also the "feel" of the typeface -what is the
ambience of the calligraphy?  Presumably the tactile assistive device that
converts visual shapes into tactile shapes and colors into textures, could
deal equally well with either WOFF or SVG fonts.

It is quite easy for an author to create an alphabet of exactly five SVG
glyphs for use in the logo, satisfying all of the assistive needs outlined
above, by issuing five statements  like:

<glyph unicode="H"><path d="
M108.382,0h23.077v22.8h21.11V0h23.078v69.044H152.57v-23.12h-21.11v23.12h-23.
077V0z " /></glyph>

(this uses the actual path of the "H" in the HTML5 logo)

This takes 90 seconds of work using SVG fonts. (Plus the minute and a half
per glyph to draw the letters in either emacs, Illustrator or Inkscape).

So, the question is this:  How easy or painful is it to create a typeface
for just 5 glyphs in WOFF?

Does one have to go through the relatively elaborate process of designing an
entire font , or can one create five simple glyphs more or less like above?
Once one has drawn the shapes, is it a 100 hour process or a 90 second
process? I know that designing a real typeface is likely to be 100 hours of
work for someone already skilled in the tools like Fontographer or
FontCreator. I honestly have no idea what it would be like to cobble
together a font of 5 simple glyphs, but my suspicion is that it is a couple
of orders of magnitude worse than 90 seconds, hence rather clobbering the
probability that authors would do it.

cheers

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/logo/