On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:33:55 +0200, David Dailey
<ddai...@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Suppose, for purposes of accessibility, we wished to replace the paths in
> the HTML5 logo [1], by actual characters in a font....
> It is quite easy for an author to create an alphabet of exactly five SVG
> glyphs for use in the logo, satisfying all of the assistive needs
> outlined above, by issuing five statements  like:
>
> <glyph unicode="H"><path d="
> M108.382,0h23.077v22.8h21.11V0h23.078v69.044H152.57v-23.12h-21.11v23.12h-23.
> 077V0z " /></glyph>
>
> (this uses the actual path of the "H" in the HTML5 logo)
>
> This takes 90 seconds of work using SVG fonts. (Plus the minute and a
> half per glyph to draw the letters in either emacs, Illustrator or
> Inkscape).

As another example, I wrote a font to produce the W3C logo,in the work to
create the original and now sadly out-dated SVG accessibility note
http://www.w3.org/TR/svg-access

I think it took about 10 minutes to make the three letters in a text
editor, plus about 10 to print them onto graph paper and get the
coordinates. (Plus about a day to get an answer from Jon Ferraiolo about
where exactly the flip from zero-down to zero-up on the y-axis actually
takes place).

> So, the question is this:  How easy or painful is it to create a typeface
> for just 5 glyphs in WOFF?

A few minutes looking at the Web suggests that doing it by hand would be
misery, but using a tool should be reasonably straightforward. I found
http://onlinefontconverter.com/ which claims it will convert my font from
one format to another ...

Which would appear to allow for

> Does one have to go through the relatively elaborate process of
> designing an entire font, or can one create five simple glyphs more or
> less like above?

As I undertand, you can create just the glyphs you plan to use.

> Once one has drawn the shapes, is it a 100 hour process or a 90 second
> process?...I honestly have no idea what it would be like to cobble
> together a font of 5 simple glyphs, but my suspicion is that it is a
> couple of orders of magnitude worse than 90 seconds, hence rather
> clobbering the probability that authors would do it.

Seems to be less than "orders of magnitude more difficult", but a bit
harder. Indeed, the easiest way I can see is to write an SVG font, and
then convert it.

Cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk