On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 02:01:00 +0200, David Dailey
<ddai...@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Thinking aloud and quickly, it seems almost as though you'd have to
> render a
> partial solution using one filter chain into a rendered image that would
> then be used as the sourceGraphic for the next filter chain. Inelegant at
> best, but I don't know of ways to put gradients or masks directly into
> filter chains - just feImage and feFlood - seems almost as though you'd
> need
> an feGradient (from which an feMask could then be derived using
> feColorMatrix together with the mythical feGradient)

You can use the FillPaint[1] or StrokePaint filter input image keywords to
grab a gradient that is on the element that uses the filter. It's also
possible to use feImage to reference a rectangle (or any other shape) that
has a gradient applied to it, and use that in the filter chain, e.g
<feImage xlink:href="#myRectWithGradient"/> (but note that last I checked
that wasn't supported in Firefox, Opera supports it though).

I think it might be ok to let feFlood accept gradient references in the
future, e.g <feFlood flood-fill="url(#grad)"/> or maybe even <feFlood
flood-color="url(#grad)". But this is really something that should be on
the public...@w3.org mailinglist, as a feature request.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/filters.html#FillPaint

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group