Marty Sullivan wrote:

>It's just the fact that you're already serving compressed content from a
>web server, you're adding more overhead to the client who has to inflate
>and then also interpret the compressed svgz file. I can't imagine that your
>svg files take up so much space on your server that storing them as svgz
>saves you anything more than a few MB. You aren't suffering anything when
>it comes to transfers because your content will be gzipped on the fly. svgz
>is just adding unneeded overhead, that's all. Continue to use it at your
>descretion, there's nothing inherently wrong with it... I just don't see
>the point in using it.

Your assumptions, while they may be true in many cases, are not all valid in
the case of embedded web servers.  It's admittedly a subset of all possible
uses of SVG, but it may be worthwhile to note there are servers in the world
that are less capable than a typical client computer, and so there's still a
place for svgz.

Ed Beroset