I can't tell you if this is possible as I've never tried to define external
entities. However, to make the local entities in you svg, you would put
them in the DOCTYPE like so:

<!DOCTYPE svg [
  <!ENTITY blue "0000FF">
  <!ENTITY green "#00FF00">
  <!ENTITY red "#FF0000">
]>

and then refer to them as &red; &green; &blue; in your document.