I appreciate the response, Robert. I get why to avoid DTDs, but I wasn't aware
that external entities had to be defined in a DTD. The syntax for importing an
external entity reference...

<!ENTITY blue SYSTEM "colors.xml">

...suggests a plain-vanilla XML file, not a DTD. Am I wrong about this?

â€"Ken Nellis