On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Jim Leonard wrote:
[snip]
> 1. Why do you snipe when you can just enter in a maximum and walk away?

* If you bid early, and you bid primarily on game software, bidding early
  says loud and clear, "look!  cool stuff!"  (I actually find some of the
  stuff I get by searching for certain early-bidders.  It's actually a
  good way of finding things.)

* If you have only so much money to spend, and want multiple items, you're
  better off waiting as long as you can.  For example, you have $100 to
  spend; there are 10 games that you want; on each, you're willing to pay
  as much as $20.  You can't bid $20 on all of them right away, as you
  could be driven above your limit.  It's better to wait on these as long
  as you can, and see how the first auctions go before you decide what to
  do with the later ones.

* Bidding early has a tendency to get you into a bidding war with newbies
  (who have a tendency to pay too much).  If you don't tip your hand you
  minimize this risk from those people with low ratings who are willing to
  pay WAY over value.

* Bidding early puts you at risk of ye olde bid-and-retract trick.
  eBay has moved to reduce the viability of this trick, but it's still
  something to keep in mind.

-- Stephen