On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Jim Leonard wrote:
> "Stephen S. Lee" wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Jim Leonard wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Maybe this leads into another question:  I would like to "watch" several
> > > auctions to see what happens to them, but doing so manually is a chore.
> > > Is there a (free) service or piece of software that will let me set up
> > > auctions to "watch"?
> >
> > What's wrong with the service eBay provides?  You're limited to watching
> > 20 items, but in my experience this is adequate.
>
> Didn't know about it.  :-)

It is one of eBay's most handy little tools.  Exploit it :)

> Can you use it to watch people as well?  I had no idea people watched
> other people... I had no idea some of you were watching *me* (shudder)

You can't watch other people like this (you *can* watch sellers like this,
but not bidders), and you can't watch bidders at all if they're from
certain countries.  Watching bidders is done by manually using eBay's
"search by bidder" function every time you feel like watching what others
are doing.

The ways to avoid this are to (1) move to one of said certain countries
(like Germany), or (2) snipe, or at least refrain from bidding until the
final few hours the auction is open.

-- Stephen