[Snip]
> How do I distinguish the "mono" adapter from any "stereo" adapter? I have
> an adaptor pretty much like that one in the picture, but I don't know if
> it's a stereo or mono one...

>                 Here's a link to the stereo adapter
><http://www.cablesnmor.com/stereo-adapter.html>.  It isn't the best
>picture, but if you look closely you'll notice _two_ black rings.  Those
>rings separate the plug connection so that you can send two channels
>(stereo) signals through it.  The mono plug has one ring which means only
>one channel of sound.

Okay, will search for one today.

>                 Using a stereo plug means that the signals don't get combined properly in
>the Y adapter cable.  I don't know exactly where things go wrong in the
>stereo adapters, but I know the mono adapters work correctly.  :)

[Snip]
> What do you mean by "enable the line in"?

>                 Make sure the line-in isn't muted or the volume for it isn't set to zero.
>I can't give you more precise instructions without knowing which particular
>sound card/DOS drivers/Windows version/etc..  You'll have to check your
>documentation for more details.

It's on by default on DOS, I think, so I won't change anything.

[Snip]
> The D was only need for a matter of distance between the Roland and the
> computer, I assume?

>                 Exactly.  I have my computers on the floor (they are towers) and the
>Roland units on the desktop.  A 1 to 2 meter cable should be more than
>enough length for you, but you'll have to measure things to make sure.

Since I have the MT32 on the tower itself, I think no cable will be needed.

[Snip]

>>                 I can give you a complete listing of what I did with
>>                 that PC if you are  interested.
>
> If possible, that would be great :)

>                 I'll answer this part in another email.  I don't want to hold this one up
>any longer.

Thanks, looking forward to it. :)

[Snip]

>> They most definitely did
>> on Ultima VII and the AWE64 does _not_ emulate the SysEx commands.
>
> Please explain a bit further. Are there SysEx messages too on MT32 when
> playing U7?

>                 SysEx messages are System Exclusive commands that set the MT-32 up to play
>the following MIDI sounds a certain way.  When you load Ultima 7 you should
>see something like "Origin Sound System!" on the MT-32 while the game loads
>some SysEx commands for the opening intro.  After the Guardian's speech is
>done you'll see it again just before you get the menu screen.  And once
>more when you Journey Onward.  :)

And ever again during the rest of the game?

>                 So, while some sound cards say they emulate an MT-32, they only emulate
>the default sounds of an MT-32.  Unfortunately that is only part of what a
>real MT-32 (or compatible Roland sound card) can do.  Without the SysEx
>commands you still won't get the full music/sound you would with the
>genuine stuff.

I think _this weekend_ isn't going to be long enough :)

Pedro

--

Edward Franks
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>