This is something I discussed once with either Alexander Zöller or Richard Pickles: I believe the main reason that makes the mentioned games valuable was the "emptiness" of good adventures in the post-Monkey-Island-2 90s.

The list mentioned by Stuart below are but a part of some good adventures (if I'm not mistaken all 5 of them are adventures) that came out in that period. Others like Flight of the Amazon Queen, Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, etc are also extremely rare _and_ coveted adventures, maybe because they were made in Europe.

For a certain period, it was amazing the kind of price that some of them would fetch on eBay. Mind you, some of them still fetch Myth-like prices!

--
Pedro R. Quaresma
Salvador Caetano IMVT

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein