From: Jim Leonard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 4:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] Preserving original games

Edward Franks wrote:

>> Wow!  Interesting, I didn't know that!
>>
>> Great... :(
>

>     Copy protection bites in many ways.  :sigh:

This is why Central Point Option Boards used to auction for $130-$200
(and why I have six).  You can use them to image and back up protected
software to blank disks, protection intact.

Unfortunately, the Option Board is very finicky (won't work on anything
faster than 386/40), and it is not 100% perfect (there are still a
handful of games, about 20, that can't be copied with it).  But it was
my pride and joy from 1987-1990.

Vincent's FDI project is fundamentally different from the OB in the
following ways:

- You can NOT use it to make duplicates (it has full reading but it is
currently impossible to write back)
- It reads nearly ANY diskette with nearly ANY format and ANY protection

(Option Board is limited to protected PC disks and unprotected
Apple/Mac/C64/Atari ST disks), and saves every single relevant bit into
a file for perfect archival
- The file it creates is called an .FDI file, which is a documented file

format, so that current and future emulator programmers can easily add
support for the files.

Currently WinUAE supports the .FDI format, which Vincent's utility
creates.  So you can take original copy-protected Amiga games, dump them

to .FDI (on a PC, no less!), and use those files with the WinUAE
emulator.  Hopefully as the years roll on more emulators will support
FDI files.

You can learn more about Disk2FDI at www.oldskool.org (there is a
"Disk2FDI" link on the main page).
--