From: Stephane Racle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 17, 2004 1:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SWCollect] Announcing the CGW Museum

Hehe. You may be willing to cut up my magazines, but I'm not! Well, I'd
cut up duplicate issues. It probably wouldn't be too difficult for
issues 25 and up, but the earlier ones can be difficult to find.

I guess the options are...

Stick to covers/ToC - ZD is probably less likely to notice and may not
care all that much. But then, you don't get all the interesting articles!
Contact ZD - High (?) chance of getting rejected, but potentially
permission to scan the articles.

The question is... how much does ZD care about these older magazines?
Would they be willing to let someone scan/display them for free? The way
I see it, this only generates interest for the magazine. However, ZD may
want to make people pay.

Any thoughts? Anybody know anyone at ZD? :-) Some of these early
articles are extremely interesting and very well written. It really
would be great to have them available.

Stephane

Jim Leonard wrote:

Regardless of how it turns out, please make sure to provide text or
text-aware file formats, like PDF that has been OCR'd, or DjVu (no
OCR'd text, but separates text and background graphics and compresses
each with separate algorithm for better compression, also supports
progressive downloading and localized decoding which is great for
modem users (they can look at a section of the page without
downloading the whole thing)).

As for approaching it the right way, tell ZD about your project and
ask that you are willing to host the pages, do all the scanning, tell
them you'll offer pages in multiple formats, etc. and that all you ask
in return is permission from the company to do so.  To help sweeten
the deal, tell them you're willing to cut up the magazines for the
best scan.  Seriously.  Crappy 300 DPI JPG scans that are warped
because the magazine binding is still intact won't impress anyone :)

However, you run a big risk of getting a cease and desist letter in
return.  But since you already run the risk of that, you might as well
contact them right now instead of running the site for two years,
building it up, and THEN getting the cease and desist letter.

I wish the best of luck, I personally would love to read some of those
older reviews.  If/When contacting ZD, make sure you actually call
people on the phone; email inquiries to generic addresses rarely get
to the *right* person.

Feldhamer, Stuart wrote:

Hey, if you approach it the right way, they might even pay you to do
it...

Stuart